Nathaniel Parker (b. 1730 and d. 1811), whose family was among the first to emigrate to America from England, was a long hunter who fought with George Washington, was a first settler of the Western Colony of Virginia in Hampshire County, and ultimately became one of the first settlers of Tennessee.  These facts are documented in Jay Guy Cisco’s, Historic Sumner County, Tennessee, 1909, in which Mr. Cisco states:

“The first of the PARKER family came to America in about the second ship after the Mayflower landed at Plymouth Rock. Thomas Parker espoused the cause of Roger WILLIAMS and went with him to Hartford Plantations. One of his descendants emigrated to Pennsylvania, and afterwards he, or one of his descendants, removed to Hampshire County, Virginia. From this line sprang John PARKER, the father of Nathaniel PARKER.

Nathaniel PARKER was born in Hampshire County, Virginia, about 1730. He served under [George] Washington in his attack on the French at Fort Duquesne. He also served under Captain Jack against the Indians. He was fond of adventure as were most of the men of his day, and wandered through the wilderness of Pennsylvania and Northwest Virginia, fearless of Indian foes. He may be classed with the “long hunters,” as he spent much of his time hunting and exploring, being out often by himself for long periods of time. He made several journeys from his native State to the Cumberland country and back. While in Sumner County, he spent most of his time at Greenfield.  Before the Indian troubles ceased, he removed his young children (his wife being dead) to Sumner County and built a house near Greenfield. That house is still standing and is occupied by Mr. Robert BRYSON.”7

Currently, this house   

is occupied by Bryson Alexander.  Nathaniel originally built it as a two-story structure, but an earthquake in 1812, the one that formed Reelfoot Lake, severely damaged the top floor and the house was modified as shown in photograph.  

Actually, this house was the second home built by Nathaniel Parker.  The first home Nathaniel built was a log cabin.  Bryson Alexander’s father Bobby donated Nathaniel’s cabin to Bledsoe Station and it was dismantled and moved around 1990 to the Bledsoe Fort Historical Park near Castalian Springs, Tennessee,  

(photo of cabin after moved to Bledsoe Fort Historical Park). 

Per the United States Department of the Interior National Park Service National Register of Historic Places, Parker-Bryson District, 1794-1865, “…Parker constructed a log house and lived there while his substantial brick residence consisting of the house, a school, blacksmith shop, and smokehouse was being completed.  This reflects a typical settlement pattern in Sumner County.  Early colonists would first live in forts, then build log houses and finally, many large landowners would erect a large house.  Forts rarely had more than two or three families residing in them at one time.  Most homesteads were fairly self-sufficient, since houses were scattered and transportation routes were poor.”23

Continuing per Cisco:

“…Five years after the death of Colonel Anthony BLEDSOE, Mr. PARKER married his widow, he being at the time 63 and she 60 years of age.  He died in 1803 and was buried near the site of the old Morgan fort, on lands now belonging Mr. Johnson.

Nathan PARKER had seven sons. The three eldest, John, Thomas, and Richard, married to sisters, Misses ROGERS, members of the same family as General George Rogers CLARK. The eldest, John, never came to Tennessee. The other sons were: Nathaniel Jr., Isaac, Aaron, and Robert…From these sons of Nathaniel PARKER have descended many prominent people of Sumner County and elsewhere. George W. PARKER was a lawyer of eminence at Gallatin. He went to Missouri, where he died. His wife was a sister of Hon. Balie PEYTON,  Hon. James HEAD, former mayor of Nashville; Dr. HEAD of Sumner County; Prof. A. J. HIBBETTof Pikeville; Hon. John H. DEWITT a Nashville lawyer, are descendents of Mr. PARKER.”7




Much of the information / photographs are the result of research by Lillian Ruth Parker Carter (deceased) and  

her daughter, Judy Carter Roberson, and extensive independent research by Peggy Parker Johnson.

Thanks are extended to:  Brian Gunter for building the website; Johnny Parker for photos of the Parker/Harris/Moss families’ tombstones in the Bethpage Lower Cemetery; Houston Mason for photos of the Brown Cemetery tombstones; and Susan Vaughn Jennings and her son, Jim, for numerous photographs and the very important Parker family Bible.

Our story as descendants of Nathaniel Parker begins in reverse order, i.e., John Wesley Parker Jr. (father of Peggy Parker Johnson) and Lillian Ruth Parker Carter (mother of Judy Carter Roberson).  We have included details of our ancestors’ lives such as their thoughts, personalities, physical appearances, struggles, etc.   This information is provided with a disclaimer that it is what we believe to be true.  Edits, corrections and improvements will be continuously added.  We welcome suggested changes or additions, by emailing:

So let’s begin our story!





Note: “+++ “ Indicates that person is in our direct line to Nathaniel Parker and beyond.


+++ Peggy Parker Johnson’s Father:    John Wesley Parker Jr. (b. 1918 and d. 1986 in Bethpage, Tennessee)m.  Evelyn Martin Stark on 28 Jun 1942.  John was the owner of Parker-Cage Motor Company 

in Gallatin Tennessee during early 1950s and served for 8 years as the Sumner County Road Superintendent.

John had three sisters:

 +++ Judy Carter Roberson’s  – Mother1. Lillian Ruth ”Babe Ruth” Parker    (1917-2007),  who helped found the Gallatin Senior Citizens Center in 1973 and served as the Director until 1995; she was honored by the center being renamed the “Ruth P. Carter Center;” she was married to Charles Wesley Carter       (1915-2000), who was employed by Globe Aircraft in Texas during World War II and later by Temco Manufacturing in Arlington, Texas, in the Experimental Engineering Department, building trainer airplanes for government contract until around 1958 when he moved family back to Bethpage, Tennessee;  he was raised as a boy in Sumner County Tennessee in house known as Forestview,      the son of Sumner County Sheriff Joseph Wesley (Wes) Carter  (B. 1867 and D. 1967 in Sumner County) who lived to be 100 years old, m. Dec 24, 1911, to  Ada Hills (B. 1891 and D. 1938 in Sumner County)   (Ada’s photo as baby), daughter of Charles  and Allie Davis Hills ; Charles was also the grandson of Joseph A. Carter (B. 1826 and D. 1905 in Sumner County), m. Susan Malvinia Mason (B. 1834 and D. 1916 in Sumner County), and he was the great grandson of John M. Carter, m. Salley (who lived to be 102),  settlers of Tennessee from Virginia in the 1700s;    2. Elizabeth Brown Parker  (1920-2005) – m. Charley Jackson – lived in Houston, Texas; and 3.  Amelia Allen Parker  (1922-1946) died of tuberculosis in early twenties.


    Peggy Parker Johnson’s –  Mother   Evelyn “Starky” Martin Stark (b. 1919 in Gallatin and d. 2001 in Westmoreland, Tennessee).  Starky was a housewife with a childlike nature and an infectious laugh.  She loved to play the “boogey woogey” on the piano, a blues-style of music in the 1930s/40s.  Starky tinted, a process to add color to photographs, for her dad Ernest Merle “EM” Stark (1882-1974),   a master photographer  nationally recognized for  photos such as this prize winning picture .   Starkey was the only surviving child of EM Stark and Prudence “Prudie” Groves (1884-1963) , who is a descendant of the French Huguenot immigrant, Jean (John) Fonvielle, who immigrated from London, England after his father, a Protestant was executed by the Catholics in France, settling in 1701 as a Patentee of the Manakin Colony of Virginia (Patent #916).   Prudie’s mother, Mary “Mollie” Jane Martin (b. 1862- d. 1948), m. William “Billie” Groves on 23 Dec 1880, was the daughter of Rhoda Fonville (b. 1830- d. 1896) m. John Martin (b. 1819- d. 1896), daughter of John Fonville (b. abt 1808-?) m. Mary H Green on 11 Dec 1829, daughter of Edward Green of Sumner County, Red River Road (b. 1775- d. 1880).   John Fonville, Prudie’s great-grandfather, was the son of a well-known Colonial Architect in Sumner County, Francis Fonville (b. ?- d. 1821) m. Elizabeth on abt 1850, who built the Greenfield House, also known as the David Chenault Federal style house on 683 Rock Springs Road in Castalian Springs, the Jameson – Harsh Greek Revival – Federal style house in Gallatin, and the Oakland House, also known as the Dr. Daniel Mentlo Greek Revival – Federal style house at 1995 Hartsville Pike in Gallatin.  The Architect Francis Fonville, Prudie’s great-great grandfather,  was the son of Francis Fonville (b. abt 1738- d. 1798), who was the son of Jean (John) II Fonvielle (b. abt 1701- d. 1773) m. Elizabeth Brice in 1729, who was the son of the French Huguenot immigrant, Jean (John) Fonvielle (b. 1679- d. 1741) m. Francoise L’Amy on 27 Jun 1699 in London, England.  

Starky’s, father, EM, came to Gallatin from Kansas in the early 1900s as a pioneer photographer who drove a horse-drawn-merchant wagon .  He established a photography shop around the Gallatin square, taking photographs for over 60 years and became a prominent and generous businessman who documented the history of Sumner County through pictures which still can be seen throughout Sumner County as well as the Sumner County Museum at the Trousdale Place.  EM and his wife were honored in recent years in the Gallatin Candelight Cemetery Tour.  EM, who walked with a pronounced limp from an injury sustained as a young man bronco riding, breaking a bronco to a saddle, served as the Treasurer of the United Methodist Church for over 50 years and was a charter member of the Rotary club.  EM was the son of Phillip Monroe Stark (1853-1936) - m. Jane Marchbanks (1862-1921), who lived in Downs, Kansas.  EM had one brother and two sisters: 1. Frank Stark (1885-1959), a jeweler in Downs, Kansas; 2. Esther M Stark (1894-?) and 3. Lula Stark (1887-?)  shown in photo third adult to right with John and Starky Parker and Prudence StarkStarky, EM and Prudie lived on North Water Avenue  until the 1930s, when they moved to East Main Street.   Also living with them were Prudie’s father and mother, William “Billy” Groves (1857-1933)  and Mary Jane “Molly” Martin (1862-1948).    During the Depression, other siblings of Prudie lived with them such as Ivor Durham Groves (1889-1958) shown in photo next to Prudie as a young girl   and John Edward Groves (1892-1950)  shown in photo second to right Prudie’s sister Ruth Elizabeth Groves (1900-1951)   lived with them until she married and moved to Florida.  Prudie’s other sister, Gertrude “Gertie” May Groves (1892-1981), lived in St. Louis with her husband Willis Whitney Lowery (1893-1953)  shown in photo as couple upfront, until Willis retired and moved the family to Gallatin on Hartsville Pike .  Gertrude and Willis Lowery had one son, Willis “Sonny” Whitney Lowery, Jr. (1925-1959),  an attorney in Nashville Tennessee, who died at 34 from a skin melanoma.  At time of his death, he and wife Katherine Marie Katie Carter (1930-2011) m. 27 Dec 1951 had 7 children, practically a child for every year of marriage.   Starkey, his first cousin thought his large family was to compensate for dislike of being an only child.


+++    Our Grandfather:  John Wesley “Wes” Parker Sr.     (b. 1890 and d. 1957 in Bethpage, Tennessee)  - m. Ruth Allen Harris on 20 Oct 1916.  Wes was a farmer and cattle jockey (buying and selling cattle).  During the depression, livestock prices dropped disastrously causing once valuable livestocks to become relatively worthless.  The Great Depression was one of the worst times economically for farmers in the history of the United States, causing once prominent farms to be stripped of cash.  In spite of this severe economic hardship, Wes was able to save the farm / home and survive the difficult years of the Great Depression.  Wes was fondly called “Cap” by neighbors and friends because even though he never served in the Navy, he liked to be in charge like the Captain of a ship.  Wes and Ruth Parker moved to their house known as the Ranch in 1917,    which is located on the original land-grant of John Morgan.   The brick house was built about 1830 by John McNeill (b. 1793-1876) – m. 1831 to Henrietta Brown Jones (1810-1891), 

They had three children: 1. Joseph Bernard Brown McNeill (b. 1835-1920) – m. 1856 to Jane M. Keys and m. 1866 to Sarah Catherine McNeely; 2. Elizabeth A. McNeill (b. 1841) – m. 1862 to Benjamin H. Hargrave; and 3. Sarah Nancy McNeill (1833-1884) – m. 1849 to Edmond Alexander Ramsey (1822-1899).  John McNeill, his wife Henrietta, his daughter Sarah Nancy and her husband Edmond Ramsey are the only four buried in the McNeill cemetery on the property surrounding the Ranch.  Of the four buried in the McNeill Cemetery, Edmond Ramsey was the last to be buried in 1899.  John McNeill was the son of Benjamin McNeill and Elizabeth Moore of Person County, South Carolina.  Henrietta Brown Jones was the daughter of Thomas Jones (1777-1863) and Sarah Brown (1783-1825), who was the daughter of Rev. Bernis Brown (1747-1815), one of the “B” Brown’s … sons of Benjamin Brown (1695-1762) of Brown’s Cove Virginia, and Henrietta Rodes (1761-?).29   Therefore, the McNeill’s were distantly related to Susan Brown Parker Parker Butler through marriage.  The deed for the Ranch is still in the possession of the Parker family and refers to the as the “Susan Brown Parker dowry.”

Continuing the discussion of Wes, he had two brothers and four sisters:   1. William Richard C “Seay” Parker   (1901-1956) ; 2. James Richard “Rich” Parker (1904-1965)   , a farmer who appeared to always be in “slow motion;” 3. Mary Katherine “Kitty” Parker  (1907-1971)   who loved to entertain / decorate the home at Inglewood with decorative gords keeping the place lively with guests and never married but lived most of her life with brothers Seay and Rich at Inglewood  where a very pretty four poster bed was prominent in the main bedroom    photo as it is today at Sue Vaughn Jennings’ house.

4. Leah Lillian Parker    (1897-1975)   was never married and one of the first Parkers to be known as a ”career woman” serving as the Head Home Economist for the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) in Chattanooga Tennessee, moving back to Inglewood upon retirement; 5. Betty Brown Parker (1888-1904)   who died at young age of 16 years; and 6. Frances Butler Parker (1910-1993)  - m. Robert Vaughn – who moved to Murfreesboro, Tennessee, with Robert to raise their family.  They had one daughter, Sue Vaughn Jennings, a major contributor to our webpage story.




    Grandmother:   Ruth Allen Harris (b. 25 Apr 1893 and d. 1975 in Bethpage, Tennessee) Ruth was a school teacher in Sideview, fantastic cook, and great at the word game of “Scrabble.”  Starkey, her daughter-in-law, said that she never heard Ruth utter an unkind word about anyone.   Ruth was the daughter of John Lewis Harris Sr. (1859-1940) and Elizabeth “Lizzie” H. Moss (1868-1963) – m. 28 Nov 1889, Lizzie shown in photo on front left side next to daughter Lucy with daughter Ruth and granddaughter Amelia standing in backRuth’s mother, Lizzie, always said the same blessing at every meal:  “Lord, humble our hearts and make us thankful for these and all our many blessings.  We humbly beg in Jesus Christ, our Lord.  Amen.”  Ruth had one brother and one sister: 1. John “Sleepy” Lewis Harris Jr. (1898-1947) who served as the Sumner County Road Superintendent for several terms, was never married yet popular with the ladies, and died of tuberculosis; and 2. Lucy Moss Harris (1903-1987) who received her BA degree from Peabody College in 1957 and taught school for 45 years; she was married to Luther Porter House Sr. (1896-1984) , a US Marine in WWII, farmer, elected State Representative to the Kentucky Legislature in 1932, US Postal carrier, and appointed by Gov. Ford as a member of the Kentucky State Fair Board Ruth and Lucy’s father, John Lewis Harris, is the son of Rueben Brown Harris (1816-1892) – m. Lucy Baker Lewis (1818-1874) a carpenter and highly skilled furniture and coffin maker of Sumner County Tennessee, and the descendant of Robert Harris Sr. (1660-1727) – m. Dorothy Wiley (1673-?), a Scots-Irish immigrant who died aboard the ship on the way to America.

Ruth and Lucy’s father, John Lewis Harris, is the son of Rueben Brown Harris (1816-1892) – m. Lucy Baker Lewis (1818-1874), a carpenter and highly skilled furniture and coffin maker of Sumner County Tennessee, and the descendant of Robert Harris Sr. (1660-1727) – m. Dorothy Wiley (1673-?), a Scots-Irish immigrant who died aboard the ship on the way to America. 29   Ruth and Lucy’s mother, Lizzie Moss, outlived her seven brothers and three sisters:    1. William Benjamin Moss (1830-1912) - m. Sarah Adell Caudle; 2. Ulysees Duke Moss (1876-1956); 3. Henry Fisk (1880-1899); 4-5. David C. and David A Moss (1882-1882), twins who died within 24 hours of birth; 6. Thomas Luke Moss (1870-1928), a bachelor and farmer who lived with his bachelor brother, 7. Allen Woodson Moss (1884-1961)

; 8. Maggie Fletcher Moss (1866-1928)m. to Dr. Atkins of Adams Tennessee; 9. Jennie H. Moss (1871-1930)m. O. D. Moore, the County Clerk of Sumner County for many years; and 10. Araminta “Minnie” Moss (1874-1962) m. Olie Whiteside, a druggist in Bethpage. 20     Lizzy Moss was the daughter of William Frederick Moss (1838-1912)- m. Luke Annis Allen (1846-1902) of Bethpage Tennessee photo taken in 1896.  William F. Moss was a Confederate soldier, who rode with Morgan’s Raiders in Hartsville Tennessee during the Civil War in 1862 – 1863, and escaped capture by swimming the Ohio River at Buffington Island into West Virginia when Morgan’s Raiders were defeated in Ohio in July, 1863. 25   In an account of the “Early History of the Moss Family” by James R. (Moss) Spivey, p. 83, he states that “William Frederick Moss moved to Bethpage Tennessee soon after the Civil War and had a good farm on the edge of this community. He did some buying of tobacco and stock.   The postmaster of Mell, Ky. … said that many years ago an old man in the community never tired of telling about helping William Frederick Moss drive a drove of hogs gathered from the woods near Mell, Ky. to Sumner Co., Tenn.  The hogs were wild and would not cross bridges. All streams were forded or swum.”20  William Frederick Moss was the son of Benjamin T. Moss (1792-1849) – m. Mar 9, 1813 to Eliza Coleman Duke (1794-1871).  Benjamin Moss fought in the War of 1812 and lived in Rockfield Kentucky in a house that is still standing      with his eleven children including 1. William Frederick Moss (Ruth’s great grandfather) and siblings:  2. Ulysees B. Moss (1813-1835); 3. David J. Moss (1820-1894); 4. Benjamin F. Moss (1827-1899); 5. Dr. Samuel C. Moss (1830-1892); 6. Dr. Henry C. Moss (1832-1878); 7. Thomas P. B. Moss (1835-1912); 8. Mary J. Moss (1816-1817); 9. Catherine C. Moss (1818-1855); 10. Elizabeth J. Moss (1823-1850); and 11. Lucy E. Moss (1825-1904).   Benjamin was the son of David and Catherine Moss.   The Kentucky Moss family members have distinguished themselves as educators and accomplished musicians.  Lizzy’s mother Luke Annis Allen was the daughter of Luke P. Allen, a Methodist Circuit Rider in the 1820s to 1840s and his second wife, Araminta Dorma Perkins, m. October 1, 1841. 20




+++ Great Grandfather:  Washington “Wash” Thompson Parker (b. 1869 and d. 1950 in Bethpage, Tennessee) m. Susan Ophelia Key about 1888Wash was a wealthy farmer.  He had a rather stoic nature and quiet disposition, who would often say, “Accept anything someone offers to give you, but advice.”  He never sat in a chair but would squat on his heels in the chair.  No one dared to criticize or discuss this in his presence.  Wash had two brothers, 1. Dr. John Richard Parker Jr.  (1871-1934)   and 2. Clair Parker (also incorrectly spelled by some sources as Clare, Claire and Carrie) (1866-1918) . Both bachelors lived together in the Ranch, before Wes and Ruth Parker moved there, as previously discussed.  The Tennessee and Tennesseans, p 1265, states that Dr. John R. Parker was a well-respected doctor for twenty years in Sumner County, who received medical training and an M.D. at the University of Louisville. 13    photo in his medical school class.  He was also the President of the local medical society.  Dr. John R moved his practice to Gallatin Tennessee with his office above Blue’s Jewelry Store.  He traveled around Sumner County in one of the first automobiles

           shown in this photo where his nurse Miss Bertie McCracken is driving.   These bachelors wrote notes on the walls still evident in the house today.  In an article written by Tennessee Woodson and published in the Saturday Evening Post in 1947, Woodson depicts Clair as scribbling notes about the history of his community and other relevant facts on the wall of his house known as the

Ranch.28  .


    Great Grandmother:   Susan Ophelia Key (b. 1870 and d. 1953 in Bethpage, Tennessee) 

Ophelia married Wash Parker in 1888 and was married a long time, shown here at their 50th anniversary. 

The Parker Bible, published in 1885, is believed to have been Ophelia’s Bible with input from Wash’s mother Susan Mildred Brown Parker Parker Butler, still living at this time and the family matriarch.  The Parker Bible is a very important family document because it substantiates births, deaths, relationships and lineage to Nathaniel Parker. 



The cover and some pages from the Parker Bible are included as follows:      Cover:

;Publication Page – ;                                                                   Births – ; Deaths – ; and Memorandum – .

….which begins by saying that, “Washington Parker & Rebecca Peyton Parker were grandparents of Washington T, Clair, & John R Parker sons of John Richard & Susan  Mildred Brown Parker.” 

The Parker Bible is currently the property of Sue Vaughn Jennings and her son Jim, both currently living in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Returning to the discussion of Ophelia, she was the daughter of William “Bill” Key (1848-1896)m. to Virginia Anderson (?).  At the young age of eighteen months upon her mother’s death, Ophelia was raised by her aunt, Tennessee Woodson “Woody” Key Black  (1852-1928) - m. 1874 to John Wesley Black (1852-?).   Ophelia “grew up” with cousins: Lillian Black, Lyle Black and Launa Black Parks – m. George S Parks.  In an article entitled, “Tale of Two Dishes,”  by Huge Walker in the Tennessee Books, he states that Ms. Black, who in 1907 lived in Nashville Tennessee at the Polk Flats (built by Felix Grundy and stood on the site of the old James K. Polk mansion)”.. came from Bethpage, in Sumner County and was a very good cook.    She married John Wesley Black, who became a judge.  Later, he owned a wholesale dry goods store on the public square in Nashville.  Besides being a good cook, Mrs. Black had two daughters, and both married prominent Nashville men.  They were Joseph Warner and George Parks.  It was Warner that built the white mansion on the historic site of Johnson’s Fort and the Charles Bosley home, where Overbrook School ….”  William (Bill) Key, the father of Ophelia, was the son of Peterson Woodson Key (1806-1886) - m. Martha A. Meadow (1807-?).  Martha A. and Peterson are buried in the Key Cemetery 11-23, about 2 miles north of Bethpage on Hwy 31E at Bransford.  This cemetery is surrounded by an iron fence.  Per, Peterson Woodson Key is the son of William Bibb Key (1759-1834) - m. Elizabeth Gaines (1770-1844).  William Bibb Key …”served three months as private in Captain William Lewis’ company, Colonel Ralph Faulkner’s Virginia regiment, marched down the James River to guard the military stores.  He enlisted early in 1780, served three months in Captain Scott Coleman’s company.  He enlisted at Manchester in the summer of 1780, served six months as a marine under Captain Cook of the Marine Service, on board the schooner ‘Nancy.’   He served in 1781 for six months in Captain Baker Pegrin’s company, was in the battle of Petersburg and the siege of Yorktown.  He married Elizabeth Griffen on 2 April 1789 in Sussex Co [Virginia].  They had 2 children: Jane “Jensy” and Ruffin.  Elizabeth probably died during childbirth because he married Elizabeth Gaines the same year in Halifax Co. [North Carolina] in the home of John Aspley, who migrated to Sumner Co. [Tennessee] as well.  William and Elizabeth had eight children: Sally, Thomas, Harriet, Peterson W., James, Alfred Cage, William, and Nancy.  All of these children’s births are listed as [in] Sumner County.  Upon William’s death on Jan. 18, 1834, Elizabeth Gaines applied for widow’s pension in Sumner County, pension claim, R.5895, Virginia.  William’s brother, Bingham Key (also a Revolutionary War soldier, R35694. but not long enough to receive a pension), and sister, Mildred Key, moved from [North Carolina] to [Tennessee] as well.  John Keys family is written about in book, Key and Allied Families.”


+++ 2nd Great Grandfather: (photo in Confederate uniform of Private)   John Richard “John R” Parker Sr. (b. 1831 and d. 31 Dec 1871 in Bethpage Tennessee) 

- m. Susan Mildred Brown Parker on 22 Dec 1865.

John R was born in Sumner County to a prominent lawyer and thoroughbred breeder, trader and racer, named George Washington “GW” Parker m. Rebecca Peyton.  For unknown reasons, his parents and their entire family left Sumner County in the 1840s, and settled in an untamed and developing area of Red River County, Texas.  Other than documented evidence of the Parker’s existence in Red River County, Texas, in census and post master records, as discussed at length in the section below for GW Parker, little is known about their family’s life in Texas.  John R’s mother died in 1854 and it is assumed that his father, GW Parker died about the time of his wife, but this is yet unconfirmed. 29

About the time of their mother’s death, John R and his siblings moved back to Sumner County, in the area where the children were born.  When they moved back to Tennessee, John R was 23 years old and the ages of his siblings were: Margaret (18), Sally B (13), Evaline (12), and Kate (11).    We believe the female Parker siblings moved in with Parker relatives, which is somewhat substantiated in the Sumner County Tennessee 1860 census, at which time Sarah “Sallie” B Parker, was noted as living with her mother’s sister Sarah and husband, Thomas Barry, a lawyer and farmer of Sumner County and Cathrine (Kate) was living with her uncle, William Parker, brother of GW Parker. 29

Also, on 5 Apr 1856, two years after their parents died, John R’s sister, Margaret A. Parker (1836-?) married Robert Collier (1832-?) in a large festive wedding ceremony held at the three-story brick pre-war Parker home, which burned during the Civil War.  Her husband, Robert Collier, was the son of Thomas Collier (1799-1850) and Susan Elizabeth Parker (1803-1872), daughter of Nathaniel Parker (1775-1857) and Lucretia Penney (1774-1860) [this Nathaniel Parker was the brother of Richard Parker, John R's grandfather].  Thomas and Susan Collier were buried in the Parker Cemetery along with their daughter, Elizabeth Collier Johnson (1828-1899) and her husband David L. Johnson (1800-1884); another daughter Emodine Collier Yager (1826-1860) - m. James Monroe Yager (1825-1852), [who died and was buried in Oldham, Kentucky at a young age of 27]; and granddaughter Burilla Yager (1849-1869). 29 

Some evidence that John R returned to Sumner County is that he is listed as a single and baptized member of the Bethpage Methodist Church, August 28th, 1861. 28  Additionally, the Tennessee and Tennesseans, p. 1265, says of John R Parker, “…when he was a young man he accompanied his parents to Texas, where he remained only a few years, then returned to Tennessee, and during the war served in Company I of the Second Tennessee Infantry, Confederate army….” 13    During the Civil War, he served under Colonel William Bate, [with men primarily from Castalian Springs Tennessee].  ”His military experience covered the four years of the war, carrying the musket of a private….” and was considered a “sharp-shooter,” fighting at both Shiloh and Chickamauga.  The Sumner County, Tennessee in the Civil War by Edwin L. Ferguson, lists John R as “Wounded severely in the leg at Murfreesboro, Tennessee on December 31, 1862,” and he was captured, exchanged [and "...paroled at Greensboro, North Carolina on May 1, 1865...."    Exchanged means that during the beginning years of the Civil War, there was no provision for prisoners so the Union and Confederacy would exchange prisoners and subsequently put their soldiers back into the War.  John R was paroled at the end of the war with what remained of his original unit in Company I. 11

John R's sharp-shooting ability, i.e., shooting accuracy, was also a trait shared by our ancestor, long-hunter and first Parker ancestor to settle in Sumner County, Tennessee, Nathaniel Parker, as discussed in the sections on Nathaniel Parker.  This ability still carries forward to other Parker descendants Hunter and Nathaniel Parker,    shown in recent photo hunting, shooting and carrying their wild turkey home on land near where John R also hunted game for sustenance, i.e., to put food on the table.  Returning to our discussion of John R., family members say that before leaving for war, John R carried a silver cup so he wouldn't have to drink from a tin one, and he returned home with it.  Another story is that he swam across a river (not sure which) to return home after the Civil War.  When home in 1865, John R married Susan Mildred Brown Parker, the widow of his uncle, William Parker, who died in 1863.  The following year after marrying Susan in 1866, John R and Susan rebuilt the Parker home, naming it Inglewood, which still stands today at Highway 31E., Bethpage Tennessee, but no longer owned by Parker descendants.   Family members say that John R never fully recovered from his war wounds and died at a relatively young age of 40 years.   In John R's will, he leaves his wife Susan the land he purchased from his uncle, William Parker's estate, which he purchased with his wife, Susan's money and thereby gave to her "absolutely" to be disposed of as she wished upon his death.  His will was witnessed by his neighbors and Parker relatives, first cousin Robert Collier Parker (son of Nathaniel - brother of GW Parker), and William Whitesides, the husband of another first cousin Susan Elizabeth Parker (daughter of Rev John Parker - brother of GW Parker).    In his will, John R also left to his wife to be divided among his children, a fourth of an undivided 2,000 acres of land in Texas, inherited from his parents, GW and Rebecca Parker.  Because of the newness of the Texas territory, the Texas land he left his heirs may not have ever been obtained due the difficulty to prove ownership.  Many times Texas land assumed owned was difficult to prove.  For example, many years after John R's death, Walter Durham in his book, Balie Peyton of Tennessee, Chapter 16, 1865-1878, states that the heirs of John R were listed as maternal heirs of a significant amount of property in Texas left after the death of Angelina Belle Peyton, sister of Rebecca and Balie Peyton.  W. Durham states, "...the death of his sister Angelina's grandson in Texas invited his [Balie Peyton's] participation in the settlement of a complicated estate.  Valuable Texas lands constituted the bulk of the inheritance that would be split between Peyton Bell Lytle’s maternal and paternal heirs.  Balie, his sister Sarah Barry, the three children of their late sister Rebecca Parker and the three children of her deceased son John R. Parker and Joseph H. Peyton’s two children were the ten maternal heirs.”  The lawsuit was never settled in favor of the maternal heirs.  The reference for the lawsuit as given by Walter Durham in the bibliography of Balie Peyton of Tennessee, is:  “Deposition of Emily T. Peyton, May 28, 1883, Lawsuit, 2078, Loose court records, SCA-Senate Journal of the 1st Session of the 39th General Assembly of the State of Tennessee, Nashville.  Tavel, Eastman & Howell.”

In addition to Margaret, mentioned marrying above, John R’s other three sisters, who were young girls when their parents died, were: 1. Sarah “Sallie” B Parker (1841-1902); 2. Evaline Parker (1842-?); and 3. Catherine (Kate)  Heatherly Parker (1843-1906) – m. John Stuart (1838-1879) with three daughters who never married and two sons: 3.1 Vena Stuart (1868-1956), 3.2 Maude Stuart (1871-1952), 3.3 Rose Stuart (1878-1970), 3.4 John Stuart (1876-1918), and 3.5 Willie Stuart (1869-1899).  Vena Stuart, known as “Miss Vena,” was a long-time teacher in Gallatin Tennessee, teaching over 50 years beginning on Sep 1889.  Vena Stuart Elementary School was named in her honor.    Photo and article announcing a celebration honoring 50 years of teaching, Tennessean, 1939. 




    2nd Great Grandmother:   Susan Mildred Brown (b. 1839 and d. 1892 in Sumner County, Tennessee) Susan married four times:  at the young age of 16 in 1855 to John Chenault (1835-1890) but this marriage was annulled for unknown reasons;  on 10 May 1862 to William Parker (1797-1863); on 22 Dec 1865 to William’s nephew, John Richard “John R” Parker (1831-1871); and finally, on 15 Jan 1879 to Oliver Porter Butler (1818-1885).  About seven years after the annulment of her first marriage, at the age of 23, Susan married William Parker [2nd husband, a relatively old man of 65], son of Richard Parker, brother of GW Parker and uncle of Susan’s third husband, John R. Parker.  William died after one year of marriage in 1863 during the Civil War, but it is unknown whether he died as a result of the war or other reasons.  After the war ended when John R. Parker returned to Sumner County after serving in the Confederacy, Susan married John R  [3rd husband] in 1865.  The next year in 1866, Susan and John R built their house named Ingelwood  as stated above.  Family members say that Susan buried gold just prior to the Civil War.  In fact, many folks have dug around this land in search of the gold.  But it is highly likely that the gold was used to build their large home, Inglewood, built only a year after the Civil War, since Confederate money was worthless after the war.  About the woman named Susan, she had reddish “strawberry” blond, curly hair and really loved to dance.  She owned a parrot which lived over 100 years and if strangers came calling, the parrot would yell “sic ‘em,” an old fashioned command for dogs to attack, at which time all dogs would run around the house barking and chasing the intruder.  She survived the brutal years in Sumner County during the Civil War, where the Union and Confederacy alternately fought and controlled the area.   In 1879, eight years after the death of  John R [3rd husband], she married a man from a prominent family in Portland Tennessee, Oliver P. Butler [4th husband], who, although studied to become a medical doctor, never practiced medicine.  When Susan moved to the Butler residence known as Butler’s Landing outside Portland Tennessee, she was a  young woman of 40 years with three young boys less than 10 years of age.   However by 1880, she was living back on the Parker property of Inglewood, which is substantiated in the Sumner County Census 1880, where Susan is listed as married to O.[Oliver] P. Butler and living on the Parker property she inherited with sons, Clair, Wash, and John R [Jr].   More evidence is noted in the 1878 Map of Sumner County indicating the property owners for the county and showing Mrs. [Susan] Parker [Brown] as the owner of the property in District 10, with her neighbors, mostly Parker descendants, including to the northeast, Robert Collier Parker, son of Nathaniel and Lucretia Parker, and to the northwest Wm Whiteside, husband of another Parker descendant.  In surviving her husbands, Susan amassed land estimated at approximately 325 acres inherited from John R [3rd husband], who left it to her ”absolutely” to do with it as she please because he purchased the land on her behalf with Susan’s money from the William Parker [2nd husband] estate, which included the Ranch with 75 acres and Inglewood with 250 acres.  Of this land, only the 25-acre Ranch house remains in the Parker family with the Lillian Ruth Parker Carter’s heirs.  Inglewood and approximately 250 acres were sold at auction in 1966 by spinsters Kitty and Leah Parker.  Another 50 acres was sold by heirs of John Wesley Parker Jr in the late 1980s.   But getting back to what we know about Susan Brown Parker Parker Butler,  Susan was also related to another family of great distinction in Sumner County, the Brown’s.  As stated in the Tennessee and Tennesseans, p. 1265, Susan is the daughter of George Thompson Brown (1807-1883) - m. Amanda Brown (1809-1882), … [son of Reubin Dabney Brown (1777-1849) - m. Lucy Thompson Brown (1784-1869).]  Reubin D. Brown is the son of Bernard Brown, Sr. (1749-1800) – m. Elizabeth Dabney (1751-1826).  Reubin D. Brown was born in Albemarle County, Virginia, on Jan. 10, 1777, along with his twin brother Robert Thompson Brown (1777-1851), and married his first cousin Lucy, daughter of Bezaleel Brown (1754-1829), brother of his father Bernard who fought in the American Revolution.  Three of Reubin D. Brown’s children moved along with he and his wife together as a family unit on horseback from Albemarle County Virginia to Sumner County:  1. George T. Brown, 2. Brightberry Brown (1794-1845) and 3. Llewellyn Brown (1815-?).  They became well-to-do Sumner Countians building a large log cabin in 1835, 4 tenths of a mile east of Rock Springs Road, near Castalian Springs on Chenault Lane.  The Browns lived in this  house until sold to David Chenault in 1850, a year after Reubin D. Brown died.  Upon the sale of their house,  the Browns moved back to Reubin’s home in the east fork of the Bledsoe Creek, eleven miles from Gallatin Tennessee.   The 1850 census shows seven children living at the residence of George T (42 years old) and Amanda (41), including: 1. Susan Mildred (11 years old), 2. Thomas P (19), 3. William B (17), 4. George S (12), 5. Charles S (9), and 6. Reubin Brown (1), plus 7. Amanda C (7), who was the daughter of Nimrod Brown according to her tombstone.  At the time of the 1860 census, living with Geo T and Amanda was one additional child, Benjamin (9), and his mother Lucy.  Thanks to Judy Roberson with shaving creme for rubbing over tombstones to help read engravings and another cousin, Houston Mason, who took the photos,   we have more evidence of some of our family laid to rest at the Brown Cemetery.  These include: George Thompson Brown (1807-1883) ;  Amanda Brown (1809-1882) , Reubin D. Brown  (1777-1849) , who died of cholera during the epidemic of 1849.   . (Reubin D. Brown’s TOMBSTONE ENCRYPTION: Sacred to the memory of Reubin D. Brown, Born in Albemarle [Virginia], Died in Sumner Tennessee.  He lived an honest man, a happy Christian, and a bright and shining light in the M.E.C.. He was an affectionate father, devoted husband and a faithful friend. He died in the glorious triumphant endeavor love, and hast left behind many that loved him in life and mourned him in death. Sleep on sacred dust in Emanuel’s arms, Till we see thee arrayed in his glory, a wife’s memory here is inscribed with a tear, That thou hast left a little before me.) .  Other members of the Brown family by marriage, who died in the cholera epidemic, were Reubin Brown’s son-in-law William Waller Weatherred (1814-1849)m. Lucy Virginia Brown (1821-?) and his father-in-law William Weatherred Sr (1779-1849).  [An interesting side note is that William Weatherred Sr was the brother of James Weatherred (1775-1843) , who married Mary "Polley" Bledsoe (1780-1843), the daughter of Colonel Anthony Bledsoe (prominent early settler of Sumner County who died from a sudden Indian attack in 1788) and Mary Ramsey Bledsoe (who subsequently married Nathaniel Parker in 1791).  At the death of James Weatherred, Polley Bledsoe, brought a lawsuit against the settlement of her father's sizable estate, consisting of approximately 6,000 acres, as executed by Nathaniel and Mary Bledsoe Parker and many others (50 U.S. 329); charging against numerous prosperous Sumner Countians considered as the defendants including George T Brown.]  Others members of the Brown family laid to rest in the Brown cemetary are;   Nimrod Brown (1797-1833) , who is the son of Brightberry Brown, Amanda’s brother, and the cousin of Geo T; Susan T Brown (1803-1855)  , the wife of Nimrod; and Amanda C. Brown , the daughter of Nimrod and Susan T Brown.   Many sources state that the Brown family typically married cousins (a common practice in their day).

As previously stated, Reubin Brown was the son of Bernard Brown, (1750-1800) – m. Elizabeth Dabney (daughter of John Dabney and Anna Harris), the dispatch bearer “courier” for George Washington in the Continental Army of the American Revolution.  Bernard Brown lived in a home called Innisfree  in Browns Cove, Albemarle Virginia.  Bernard was the son of Benjamin Brown, (1695-1762) m. Sarah Thompson (second wife), who was born in Wales and came from England with his father John Brown, settled and married in Hanover County, Virginia.  He moved to Walnut Level in 1747.  Per, Benjamin’s sons were referred to in Albemarle County [Virginia] as the “B” Browns, all of them having first names starting with “B” 1. Benjamin, 2. Billy, 3. Bartlett, 4. Benajah, 5. Bernard, 6. Bernis, 7. Bezaleel, 8. Brightberry and 9. Barzalia.   A number of the “B” Browns served under George Washington during the Revolution, some as officers in the First Continental Army.  In addition, Bernard and his two wives had three daughters:  1.  Lucinda, 2. Lucretia, and 3. Agnes.   According to Rev. Edgar Woods, “The Brown family ranks among the first families of Virginia and have ever held that position since Virginia has been their home.  From their early settlement, their prominent part in public affairs, the high character generally prevalent among them, and the lasting impress they have made on the natural scenery of the country is one of the most noted in its history.”  Before moving to Albemarle County, Benjamin Brown Sr. and his family had patented large areas of land in Louisa County, both before and after is establishment in 1742.  They began to obtain grants in Albemarle, also soon after its formation.  From 1747 to 1760, they entered more than six thousand acres on both sides of Doyles River, the area becoming known as Browns Cove.   Benjamin Brown Sr. named his home in Browns Cove, ‘Walnut Level’ or more commonly called ‘Trinidad.’  He died in 1762 at Trinidad, leaving twelve children.”



+++ 3rd Great Grandfather:  George Washington “GW” Parker (b. 1805 in Sumner County, TN and d. abt 1854 in Red River County, Texas) – m. Rebecca Peyton on 18 May 1830 (with Thomas Barry acting as bondsman (Thomas Barry married Sarah Peyton, sister of Rebecca on 16 Nov 1830).   GW was a prominent lawyer in Sumner County Tennessee, inheriting 206 acres in Sumner County from his father, Richard Parker, where he lived in the three-story brick pre-war Parker home.  GW lived in Sumner County when the county was bursting with energy.  In addition to his law practice, he bred and raced thoroughbred horses with his wife’s brother, the Hon. Balie Peyton (1803-1878), who owned a nationally famous 640 acre farm named Station Camp Creek Farm, (located where Vol State is currently located), and Colonel George Elliott, who owned a breeding farm and residence known as “Wall Spring,” during the Sumner County horse-racing heydey prior to the Civil War.  In today’s terms, you might think, “so they had some nice horses, so what?”  Well, if you think about it, horses meant everything because horses provided transportation, helped fight wars, and make a living.  So really fine horses were extremely valuable assets.  According to the Middle Tennessee Horse Breeding by Perky Beisel and Rob DeHart, “Breeding fine horses has been both big business and pastime for Middle Tennessee since settlers first entered the Cumberland Valley during the American Revolution.  The fertile pastures and mild climate of the area lent itself to horse breeding, and the populace embraced the benefits.  Horse racetracks dotted the landscape, and a person’s social status sometimes rested on the possession of fine horses and good horsemanship,  This combination of culture and geography in Middle Tennessee gave rise to some of the most celebrated horse breeders in the nation.”  In Chapter 1, 1803-1833, page 8, Walter Durham [well-known historian of Sumner County] in his book, Balie Peyton of Tennessee, states that, “While in his twenties, Peyton was facinated by the opportunities for breeding thoroughbred stock for racing.  He first brought the outstanding racing stallion Rattler to Sumner County and stood him at the farm of G. W. Parker, husband of Balie’s sister Rebecca.  Shortly afterward he introduced local breeders to the Virginia-bred Anvil, a successful sire he had purchased in Maryland.  The arrival of Rattler and Anvil foreshadowed the development of a nationally recognized stud at the farm on Station Camp Creek.  It also reflected increasing investments at other nearby studs, such as the importation of “the distinguished English Race Horse” Leviathan to the stables of George Elliott in December 1830.”   About Colonel George Elliott, Beisel and DeHart state that he, “…was one of a number of prominent Thoroughbred breeders….his mare Black Sophia gained fame when she won a race against a descendant of Andrew Jackson’s Truxton in 1820…Balie Peyton sponsored the 1843 Peyton Stakes in Nashville, the richest horse race run in the country up to that time, with a purse of $35,000.”  Per the Making the American Thoroughbred Especially in Tennessee, 1800-1845, by James Douglass Anderson, 1916, Chapter VI, Sumner County Breeding Centre, Douglass states that on September 14, 1840, in Gallatin Tennessee, “…in the Barry Sweepstakes, … G. W. Parker’s [horse named] FLIGHT by imp Leviathan, dam by Sir Charles ….went home and pulled down [winnings of] $8,000,” which in today’s terms in 2013 would be comparable to approximately $210,000.  Other sources state that this was an unexpected win which accounted for the high winnings for GW Parker.  Nevertheless, although exciting and possibly a thrilling endeavor, per Walter Durham in Balie Peyton of Tennessee, Chapter 5, 1838-1847, page 67, he states that “… horse breeding, racing, and trading thoroughbreds did not generate the revenues that Peyton needed…Balie needed fortune to smile not only on himself but on his sister Evaline Anderson, both brothers, and brothers-in-law [GW] Parker and [Thomas]Barry, all of whom were in difficult financial circumstances.  A visiting kinsman, then a student at the University of Nashville, thought all of them were ‘pretty well broke.’”  Possibly because of dwindling resources, the promise of vast land potential out West and in spite of his social standing and prominence as a Sumner County attorney in Sumner County, GW moved his entire family to Red River County Texas in or about 1840.  Some sources say GW moved to Missouri; others state Arkansas, but more conclusive evidence collected from census records in indicates Texas.  The confusion of which state that GW’s family settled may be due to the fact that at this time in history with the formation of Texas being in its early stages, many settlers considered themselves as living in Arkansas or Missouri rather than Texas.  Nevertheless, in the 1850 census in Red River County Texas, GW and wife were listed with five children: John R., Margaret, Sally, Evaline, and Kate.  Appointed Aug 27, 1851, GW is listed as a postmaster in Almond Grove, Red River County Texas, and Rebecca Parker was appointed postmaster in Dec 9, 1852.  The postmaster for GW and Rebecca was discontinued in 1855.  It is believed that GW and his wife died about 1854, possibly from cholera, which was an epidemic that year in Red River County Texas.  Walter Durham in Balie Peyton of Tennessee, Chapter 11, 1853-1854, page 161, confirms that Rebecca died in 1854, stating, “Soon after September election [1854], sobering news from Tennessee reached Balie.  His sister Rebecca Parker was dead at the age of forty-eight.  She had been married to G. W. Parker for twenty-four years….”  However, there is no conclusive evidence of when GW died.  It is assumed he died the same year as his wife, Rebecca, in 1854, because their son John R Parker and siblings, Margaret, Sally B, Kate and Evaline, returned to their former home in Tennessee about 1855, to live with Parker relatives as discussed in length above under John R. Parker.  It is assumed that GW Parker amassed approximately 2000 acres of land in Texas, because his son, John R, left a fourth of this property to his heirs in his will probated in Sumner County Tennessee in 1872.  Also discussed above, in greater detail is that GW’s son, John R, went on to fight in the Civil War on the side of the Confederacy.  His uncle, Balie Peyton, a Union sympathizer continued his love of thoroughbred horses throughout the disruptive years of the Civil War in Sumner County where the Union and Confederacy, each claimed the area, alternately.  To save his thoroughbred colts, family members say that Balie hid the colts under the dining room table.  Hard to imagine that technique would work, but demonstates how harsh the Civil War was to the once thriving business of breeding, racing and trading thoroughbreds in Sumner County.  Nevertheless, the Parker family, specifically Joseph Wesley Carter, son of Lillian Ruth Parker and Charles Wesley Carter and the fourth grandson of GW Parker, as of 2013, still lives on the same land that GW Parker and his son John Richard Parker lived, in the house called the Ranch, and breeds and trades horses and mules in that fertile region of Sumner County Tennessee.  Two of the mules bred by Joseph “Joe” Wesley Carter that he named, “Ruth” and “Bubba,” were used in the mule-drawn hearse of Lillian Ruth Parker Carter’s funeral procession in 2007, with Joe driving hearse as shown in the photo:  .  This is testimony that the tradition of breeding and trading horses and now mules continues with the Parker family descendants.  Continuing with our discussion of GW Parker, GW had four brothers and one sister:  1. Nathaniel Parker (1789-1867) – 10 Dec 1817, m. Elizabeth Betsy Collier (1798-1866) with five children, 1.1 Matilda, 1.2 Pierson, 1.3 Robert, 1.4 Elizabeth, and 1.5 Richard Collier Parker (1819-1885) buried in the Bethpage Lower Cemetary  along with his son, 1.5.1 George W. Parker (1861-1885)  ;  2. Reverend John Parker (1792-1866) , a Methodist minister - m. 1815 to Mary  “Polly” Rose Harper (1796-1866); 3. Isaac Newton Parker (1793-1885), m. 10 Jun 1824 to Mary Lafferty (1800-?);  4. Elizabeth “Betsey” Parker (1795-1826) – m. 18 May 1812 to John Crenshaw (1790-?); and 5. William Parker (1797-1863), m. 1825 to Harriett Collier (1800-1861) with four daughters named 5.1 Amanda (?), 5.2 Elizabeth (1825-1839), 5.3 Romelia (1827-1851), and 5.4 Evaline (1843-?), all buried in the Parker Cemetery near Inglewood, and m. 1862 to Susan Mildred Brown.  Per records found on the Sumner County, Tennessee Genealogists Companion website, these Parker siblings lived in close proximity as shown by the Sumner County Tennessee school records, which reflect that in District 11 in the year of 1838, GW Parker had one child attending school and his neighbor and brother, Isaac Parker was in the same district with 4 children in school.  In the same year of 1838, right next door in District 12 were other brothers, William with 2 children registered in school and John with 5, and sister Betsey Crenshaw with 5.  Also, in District 12 was his nephew Robert Collier Parker with 5 children in school. When GW and Rebecca died in Texas in 1854, their children returned to Districts 11 and 12, in Sumner County Tennessee to live among their Parker relatives whom they attended school as young children discussed in more detail in John R Parker section above.




    3rd Great Grandmother:  Rebecca Peyton (b. 1800 in Sumner County Tennessee and d. 1854 in Red River County Texas).  Rebecca’s family, the Peytons, were very prominent.  Per The Lady Cannoneer by C. Richard King, in describing the Peyton family, said that they were “…[a] prominent Tennessee family [which] traced its ancestry to William the Conqueror into England. Among his grants was Peyton’s Hall in Norfolk.  Knighted by James I, Henry Peyton became a gentlemen of the Privy Chamber and a member of the London Company, to which was granted a charter ‘to make habitations in that part of America commonly called Virginia.’  A son of the family, John Peyton, is believed to have been among the first to make the voyage to Virginia in 1622.”   Rebecca’s grandfather, Robert Peyton (1730-1795) – m. Ann Guffey (1732-1795), was an officer in the Virginia military of the Continental Army of the American Revolution and was the last settler in Sumner County to be killed by the Indians on June 7, 1795.    Her father, John Peyton (1755-1833), “…at the age of nineteen together with his brother Ephraim, joined the army of the Revolution under Gen. Andrew Lewis,” as stated in Early History of Middle Tennessee by Edward Albright.  He was also one of the first surveyors  in Tennessee.  The Old Wayne: A Brit’s Memoir, by Cletis R. Ellington, page 200, states, “Two illustrious Peyton brothers, buried not far from where they were born near Gallatin, Sumner County, Tennessee, were sons of John Peyton, a Revolutionary War soldier from Virginia who moved to Tennessee and fought with distinction in several Indian battles there.  The soldier and two of his brothers, Ephraim and Thomas, suffered grievious wounds when ambushed by the Indians they were pursuing who had slain their father, Robert Peyton.  A fourth brother escaped unscathed.  Robert Peyton, up and about his farm early one morning, had stooped to place salt for his cattle in a trough formed by a sycamore tree when an Indian concealed under the side of a nearby log, suddenly arose behind his back and struck him between the shoulders with this knife, then in a rage stabbed him in the heart.  A Peyton slave, seriously wounded by the Indian, lived to tell what had happened on the farm, which was eight miles north of Gallatin.  Much has been written of the slaying of the father and of his sons’ harrowing pursuit of his killer since Robert Peyton was the last white killed by Indians in the state of Tennessee.  He was a son of Valentine Peyton, a member of the Virginia House of Burgesses and one of General George Washington’s staff officers in the Revolutionary War.”  Rebecca Peyton’s mother, Margaret “Peggy” Hamilton, was the daughter of Captain John W. Hamilton of the British Army.  Both of Rebecca’s brothers, Hon. Balie and Hon. Joseph Peyton, were United States Representatives.  Hon. Balie Peyton   shown in photo from May 10, 2007, Tennessean, bred and raced thoroughbred horses which was a passion that he shared with President Andrew Jackson as well as Rebecca’s husband, George Washington Parker, as discussed above.  Guy Cisco in the Historical Sumner County, Tennessee, pages 290-291, says, “Balie Peyton was born in Sumner County November 26, 1803.  He received a limited education; studied law and commenced practice at Gallatin in 1824.  In 1833 he was elected to Congress as a Jackson Democrat; was re-elected in 1835.  In 1837 he moved to New Orleans, where he practiced his profession.  Among his first cases was the famous suit of Mrs. Myra Gaines aganist New Orleans, which was not terminated until after the death of Peyton.  In 1840 he stumped the State of Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana in favor of General Harrison.  After the election of Harrison to the Presidency he appointed Mr. Peyton, United States District Attorney at New Orleans.  When the Mexican War broke out he recruited a regiment of six months men, but before seeing any service the regiment was recalled, but Mr. Peyton remained with the army as chief of General Worth’s staff.  In 1848 he canvassed Louisiana for the Taylor and Filmore ticket, and received as a reward the appointment of Minister to Chili.  In 1852 he went to San Francisco, where he practiced law until 1855, when he returned to Gallatin.  In 1862 he was elector for the State at large on the Bell and Everett ticket.  His last public service was in 1869-70, when he represented Sumner and Smith Counties in the State Legislature.  He died August  18, 1878.”   The Tennessee’s Union Cavalry, by Myers E. Brown, II, Tennessee State Museum, page 20, say that “like many Tennessee Whigs, Peyton, Sr. remained a Union man during the Civil War.  Meanwhile, his son Peyton, Jr. served in the Confederate 20th Tennessee infantry Regiment and died while fighting at Mill Springs, Kentucky, in January 1862.”  Also receiving notoriety was Rebecca Peyton’s sister Angelina Belle Peyton Eberly, m. on 2 July 1816 to her cousin Jonathan C. Peyton.  The Lady Cannoneer states that Angelina was posthumously honored in 1979, with the placement of a bronze statue symbolizing her individual action of firing a cannon that helped prevent theft of valuable archives that helped Austin to remain the state capital of Texas rather than Houston.  Unfortunately, Angelina’s enormous estate after her death was never resolved in favor of the heirs.  This estate was enormous and included, ”….6 city blocks…in Indianola [Texas;]… 1 league of land in Matagorda County [Texas;]…22,922 acres in Falls County [Texas;]… 1/2 league of land in Austin County [Texas;]….” and much more.  Balie Peyton initially led the effort to gain a settlement for the maternal heirs, which included along with the Peyton heirs, Claire, Washington T, and John R. Parker.  In spite of considerable effort, none of the maternal heirs received compensation in settling the estate.



+++ 4th Great Grandfather:  Richard Parker: (b. 1775 in Hampshire,Virginia and d. 1831 in Sumner County, Tennessee) – m. Nancy Rogers in 1788.  According to the online website, Parker Hannah Mesquite Tree, Richard followed his father to Sumner County Tennessee, and was listed among his siblings in Nathaniel’s will.  In 1803 according to the Sumner County Tennessee DB 3:309, Richard purchased a “640 acre track of land in Sumner County located on the middle fork of Bledsoe Creek, one mile below Cook’s Camp from Thomas Mastin.”  In Richard’s will on 22 Oct 1831, probated Apr 1838, Richard named [his wife] Nancy and five sons, leaving Nancy a life estate, that upon her death went to Richard’s son, George Washington [Parker].  Personal property was left to his other sons.  Per his father Nathaniel’s will, dated 25 February 1811, Richard had six brothers and three sisters:  1. Nathaniel Parker (1775-1858) – m. 1794 to Sarah “Sally” Ramsey and m. 1800 to Lucretia Parker (1774-1860); 2. Aaron Parker (1781-1804); 3. Biley Parker Collins; 4. Mary Parker (1779-1864); 5. Elizabeth (Betsey) Parker (1780-?); 6. Thomas Henderson Parker (1768-1846) – m. 1792 to Susan Rogers (1773-1838); 7. John Parker (1755-1836) - m. Ms. Rogers; 8. Robert Parker (1783-1870) - – m. 1808 to Martha Patsy Martin (1789-1840); and 9. Isaac P. Parker (1766-1846) - m. Agnes (last name unknown) with four children: 9.1 Mary (Polly) Parker - m. Abram Martin, 9.2 Elizabeth Parker – m. Bushrod Thompson, 9.3 Melvina Parker – m. John Walsh, and 9.4 Page P. Parker.  John Parker, was the only child of Richard that never came to Tennessee.



4th Great Grandmother:  Nancy Rogers or Rodgers (b. 1773 in Hampshire, Virginia and d. 1838 in Sumner County, Tennessee).  Nancy was the daughter of William Rogers (1740-1808) and Sarah Lowe (1740-1810), who had nine children of which three daughters married sons of Nathaniel Parker - Richard, Thomas and John.  Per Cisco, Nancy was in the same family as General George Rogers Clark (1752-1818), who per Wikipedia, was the highest ranking American military officer on the northwestern frontier of the American Revolutionary War, and the General’s bother, William Clark (1770-1838), one of the leaders of the Lewis and Clark Expedition of 1804 through 1806, the first transcontinental expedition to the Pacific Coast undertaken by the United States and commissioned by President Thomas Jefferson.  Nancy’s grandfather was Mathew Rogers (1718-1744)m. Ann Woods (1718-1744), who were neighbors of Nathaniel Parker (her husband’s father) in Hampshire County Virginia until approximately 1790, when Nathaniel moved his family to Sumner County Tennessee.



+++ 5th Great Grandfather:  Nathaniel Parker (b. 1730 in Hampshire, Virginia and d. 1811 in Sumner County, Tennessee) – m. 1754 to Ann Clayton and m. 4 Dec 1791 to Mary Ramsey Bledsoe.  To continue what we started at the very beginning of this webpage, per Wiki Tree, Nathaniel Parker, ” Nathaniel, who is on a list of persons who furnished supplies to the Continental Army in Hampshire County, Virginia (now WV) and his descendants are eligible to the DAR [Daughters of the American Revolution] /SAR [Sons of the American Revolution].”  As Cisco states, “Nathaniel PARKER was born in Hampshire County, Virginia, about 1730. He served under Washington in his attack on the French at Fort Duquense.”  He is the son of John and Elizabeth Parker of Hampshire County and had three brothers and two sisters:  1. Robert Parker (abt 1730-1816); 2. Richard Parker (1745-1799); 3. Aaron Parker (abt 1730-1816); 4. Elizabeth (1728-1819) – m. John Hall, and 5. Catharine Parker (1735-1799) - m. William Formann [1726-1777).  Hampshire County was the western most Colony of Virginia, the gateway to the developing west and where the opening battles of the French and Indian Wars began in 1754.  As is evident in the source material, Nathaniel Parker and his father John were prominent first families of Hampshire County, the Western Colony of Virginia, and were instrumental in developing that region of America.  In the West Virginia Genealogy, from the JC Sanders Papers, it is stated that, "During the French and Indian Wars (1754-1760), Virginia was divided into four military districts.  The northern district was in charge of George Washington and it would seem that his soldiers sent and quartered in this section helped themselves to the property of various settlers and farmers then living in the valleys of the South Branch and Patterson Creek.   Toward the close of the war, a company of Militia was raised in this section for their protection and to drive the red man west of Ohio.   For this expedition, fire-arms were scarce and strenuous methods had to be used to equip soldiers for this exposition.   During this period, the General Assembly of VA passed an [A]ct to reimburse soldiers and citizens for the loss of equipment in these Indian Wars.  The VA State Library contains an original exhibit portraying one incident of this period: Capt. Hutton of near Ft. Ashby organized a Company for the protection of that region and to drive the Indians west of Ohio River, and this paper is one of the results of their defeat: (Spelling and Punctuation as appearing) ‘March 14, 1778 regart one Rifell Gon aprezed to 9L-0-0- by us the Property of William Rogers[,] Nathaniel Parker[,] Jacob Resonner[,] Deleverd to George in Capt Huttens Compy. the within Gon in the hands of George Norris under Capt. Hutton’  ‘we the subscribers having aprezed the Defictioncy of a Gon taken in the Milichton Serves of Catp Huton to Whellon and find it to be Twelf Shillings[,] Aug 31, 1782[,] N.B. The above Gon the property of Nathaniel Parker[,] Jacob Resoner[,] John Thompson’, From the Journal of the House of Burgess of the Colony of VA 1766-1768, page 294….”   The Wiki Tree John Parker based in large part on The Parker Family of Sumner County by Shirley Wilson, CG, Revised in 27 Jan 1997, states that “…in 1760, [Nathaniel] was named in the will of his father, John Parker, of Hampshire Co Virginia and in 1765, [he] received 312 acres of land on Patterson’s Creek beginning at a locust and sassafras and running across the creek as his share of his father’s estate.  On 24 March 1771 in a deed of lease and release, Nathaniel purchased 220 acres of land from James Rogers and his wife Martha [the parents of his son, Richard's, wife], all of Hampshire County, for five shillings (Hampshire Co., VA DB 2:229-232).  The land was located on Patterson Creek and was part of a tract of land patented by Mathew Rogers deceased that fell to his son William and thence to James Rogers.  Thus Nathaniel was now the owner of 532 acres of land.  Beginning in 1782 Nathaniel Parker was taxed on 532 acres of land in Hampshire County….”  In 1782, and again in 1784, Nathaniel was listed on the census as a resident of Hampshire Co, Virginia, with 10 family members.  Therefore, his first wife, Ann, probably died in 1783 at the time of the birth of her last child, Robert.  In the late 1780s, Nathaniel began to sell-off his land in Virginia and after Ann’s death around 1790, he permanently settled in Sumner County Tennessee in an area called Greenfield.   Per the United States Department of the Interior national Park Service National Register of Historic Places,  Parker-Bryson Historic District, 1795-1865, “Around 1778 the first European settlement in Sumner county occured at Bledsoe’s Lick; Kasper Mansker arrived in the county in 1779.  The first permanent settlement is considered to have been Isaac Bledsoe’s first fort in 1784.  At this time Anthony Bledsoe began a settlement two and one-half miles north of Bledsoe’s Lick.  Known as Greenfield, it included a fort and 6,280 acres of land.  It was on this property that Nathaniel Parker would build his [second] house  [and also his first house which was a log cabin as noted at beginning of webpage]  … Greenfield Fort was known as one of the strongest settlements in the area.  As stated in the National Register of Historic Places, United States Department of the Interior National Park Service, for the Parker-Bryson Historic District, OMB Approval No 1024-0018, “he [Nathaniel Parker] held Greenfield Fort on April 28, 1795, against a party of 260 Indians, believed to have been one of the largest ever mustered in Middle Tennessee.  [Also], in the late 1700s Nathaniel Parker teamed with Joseph Bishop and served as a spy for General Blount in Sumner County and part of what is now Wilson County.”  Concerning Nathaniel’s role as a spy, more is provided in the book entitled, The Life of Joseph Bishop, Chapter X, p. 129, which states that Nathaniel Parker in 1793 served as a spy with Joseph Bishop of Robertson County, known as Tennessee County until the name Tennessee was chosen for the state.  As a spy Nathaniel would, similar to the special military forces of today, “dig” into areas without notice for up to three months at a time and locate the whereabouts of large concentrations of Indian tribes.  Spies traveled in pairs with no contact to family or friends , usually concentrating on a 15 mile radius.  This job was ”a 1790′s mission impossible,” highly valued but oftentimes unrewarded task.  With the vast number of deaths at this time in Tennessee history, including many high ranking conventional forces, spies were absolutely essential to the early settlers.  And these spies were volunteer farmers, who risked everything in order to rally around the cry of Colonel Winchester (later to become a General), on behalf of Governor Blount, for assistance in combating the brutal killing and oftentimes scalping of Tennessee settlers.  These volunteers risk everything to preserve their homes and lifestyles.  They asked nothing and probably received nothing because little is written about them.  But it worked, because by the turn of the century of 1800, these types of deaths were a thing of the past.] …Nathaniel Parker farmed the land he owned.  In an account book of General James Winchester’s cotton gin at Cragfont (NR 2/26/70), three miles northeast of the Parker Residence, it is noted that in 1806 Parker had 1,726 pounds of cotton ginned here … he appears to have taken an active role in the establishment of the local methodist church.   Bishop Asbury of the Methodist congregation, recorded in the fall of 1800 en route from Bethel Kentucky to Nashville by the Kentucky Road, that he stopped at Parker’s near the Bethpage community for preaching … Tradition is that the congregation at Parker’s later became Bethpage Methodist Church in 1818.   Nathaniel Parker is listed as one of the original trustees on the original deed of conveyance of the [Bethpage Methodist] church site.”   Per the Rogans of Sumner County website, Nathaniel lived next door to Hugh Rogan and Isaac Bledsoe, the brother of Anthony Bledsoe.  Nathaniel married Mary Ramsey Bledsoe in 1791, the widow of Anthony, who was killed by Indians.  Other settlers and American Revolutionary War veterans that lived closeby, were William Hall, John Morgan, David Shelby, John Carr, and George and James Winchester.   Unfortunately, Nathaniel’s marriage to Mary Bledsoe was not the perfect union.  The Wiki Tree John Parker, says that, “It is not certain precisely when Nathaniel and Mary’s marriage began to disintegrate.  On 6 November 1794, Nathaniel Parker of Sumner County published a disclaimer in the Knox Gazette stating that his wife Mary had left his bed and board and warning all persons that he would not be responsible for her debts and contracts.  Having officially married her, he still had control over the estate of her deceased husband Anthony Bledsoe…On 7 Oct 1794, Nathaniel Parker purchased 320 acres on Bledsoe’s Creek from William Penney and his wife Susannah ‘Sucky.’  The land was located near James Clendening tract and abutting David Shelby.  In January of 1796, the court appointed Nathaniel Parker as executor of Anthony Bledsoe to sell stock from the estate to settle with the guardians for the orphans of Anthony Bledsoe, deceased (Sumner County Court Minutes, p. 98).  On 22 March 1796, Nathaniel Parker bought another 320 acre tract of land in Sumner County on Bledsoes Creek from Hugh Rogan.  The land was identified as being part of a tract conveyed to Hugh Rogan by the heirs of Anthony Bledsoe, deceased (DB 1:319).  Per Wiki Tree, Nathaniel Parker, he owned 5,362 acres in Sumner Co TN 1810 tax list of Sumner Co TN: Nathl Parker, Capt Lauderdale’s List….”     The Wiki Tree John Parker, notes that, in Nathaniel’s will, dated 25 Feb 1811, he left his dwelling where he lived and a portion of the land to Robert, and the rest of the land to be divided equally among the rest of his sons, except Aaron, who predeceased him.  He did not mention his wife, Mary Bledsoe, who died earlier in 1808.  However, he did mention, “my second wife’s daughter, Nancy Parker.”  Legend holds that Nathaniel was not the father of Nancy.  On 19 Nov 1814, the names of Elizabeth Collier, Mary Thompson and William Thompson were added as signature on the will, which is believed to be because someone realized that all the heirs had not signed the original will.  Parker descendants have noted that Nathaniel was an Englishman living in a neighborhood of mostly Scots-Irish.  In fact, many sources say that Tennessee was mostly founded by Scots-Irish. Whether this was ever a problem for Nathaniel is unknown.


5th Great Grandmother:  Ann Clayton (b. 1726 and d. 1783 in Virginia)


+++ 6th Great Grandfather:  John Parker (b. 1680 and d. 1760 Hampshire County, Virginia) – m. abt 1726 to Elizabeth (maiden name unknown but most sources agree, Taliaferro).  Per sources in, John Parker was the son of a very prominent man of Reading Massachussetts, Ensign Nathaniel Parker (1651-1737), and his wife Bethiah Polley (1618-1689).  John had fourteen siblings: 1. Bethiah Parker (Died as baby – 1678); 2. Bethiah Parker (1685-1715); 3. Lieutenant Nathaniel Parker (1679-1761); 4. Stephen Parker (Died as baby – 1684); 5. Stephen Parker (1692-1749); 6. Susannah Parker (1687-1769); 7. Caleb Parker (1693-1728); 8. Ebenezer Parker (1689-1779); 9. Timothy Parker (1695-1737); 10. Obadian Parker (1697-1758); 11. Abigail Parker (1699-1728); 12. Amy Parker (Died as baby, 1701-1702); 13. Amy Parker (1702-?); and 14. Phineas Parker (1704-1787).  John moved out west and became a prominent man in his own right as a settler and defender of Hampshire County, the Western Colony of Virginia.  He was issued one of the first grants of land [No. 12 out of 16 lots] and was instrumental in developing Hampshire County Virginia.  In the Parker Hannah Mesquite Tree, Places of Our PARKERs: Hampshire County, West Virginia, it is noted that, Hampshire County, previously the Western Colony of Virginia, is the oldest county of West Virginia; the county seat is Romney (1762). West Virginia became a state pulled from Virginia, “following the Wheeling Conventions, during the Civil War and admitted to the Union on June 20, 1863,” almost a hundred years after Romney was first established.   “In 1754 [the] valleys, north of a line surveyed between the sources of the Potomac and Rappahannock rivers, became part of a vast proprietary grant, known as the Northern Neck.  This included all of the Patterson Creek Valley.  The grant was an old one[,] The Fairfax Grant, having been made by Charles II in 1649, while in exile, to several his friends and supporters, including two members of the prominent Culpeper family. Over the years the Culpepers acquired the entire interest, and then through marriage it passed to the equally prominent and more enduring Fairfax family.   In 1719 this royal grant was inherited by Thomas 6th Lord Fairfax.  There were settlers along Pattersons Creek when Genn first visited it in 1747.   Next year, when he returned to continue his surveys for Lord Fairfax, he brought with him, in addition to his surveyors, two youthful observers.   One was George William Fairfax, son of the Proprietor’s cousin; the other one was George Washington, a friend of the younger Fairfax…The party was on its way to the South Branch of the Potomac by way of Cresap’s trading post in Maryland.  Sixteen lots were granted in 1748-49…These are recorded in northern Neck Grant Book G, now in the safekeeping of the Virginia State Library at Richmond…John Parker, 312 acres, Lot No. 12, June 8, 1749…”  The Historic Hampshire County, West Virginia webpage states, “During the French and Indian Wars, Hampshire County took the brunt of the war where Colonel George Washington, Commander of the Virginia Regiment, [had access to] a chain of forts in Hampshire County as the Northern Neck Propriety.” One of these forts was owned by Nathaniel’s father, John Parker. In Frontier Forts Along the Potomac and Its Tributaries, by William H. Ansel, Jr., Ansel says, “On June 13, 1756, while at Fort Cumberland, [George] Washington wrote to Captain Robert McKenzie ordering him to instruct Lieutenant Neugent of the King George Militia to immediately proceed with his command to John Parker’s on the South Branch and while there, to not only protect the inhabitants about the fort but to also assist them in harvesting their crops….Fort John Parker was named for John Parker, the owner of the real estate upon which it was constructed, he having purchased Lot No. 44 consisting of 350 acres from Thomas Lord Fairfax on July 24, 1749….John Parker died in 1760 before the Indian troubles were over. He left surviving his wife, Elizabeth [maiden name unknown, but most sources agree her last name was Taliaferro (1705-1791)], who later married Thomas McGuire [(1701-1786)]; four sons, Robert, Richard, Nathaniel and Aaron, and two daughters, Elizabeth, who married John Hall, and Catharine, who married William Formann.  John Parker (of Hampshire County) is notated by George Washington in The Papers of George Washington, Colonial Series, 1:25; 3:124, 197, 265; 4:10.


6th Grandmother:  Elizabeth (maiden name unknown but most sources agree, Taliaferro) (b.1705 and d.1791). 


+++ 7th Grandfather: Ensign Nathaniel “Eng Nathaniel” Parker (b. 1651 and d. 1737) - married on 24 Sep 1677 to Bethiah Polley (1659-1748) in Reading, Middlesex, Massachusetts.  Per, which is credited to William Richard Cutter, New England Families Genealogical and Memorial, Third Series, Vol. II, (Orig. publ. NY, 1915; repr. by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, 1997), pg. 621, [Eng] Nathaniel was born on 16 May 1651 in Reading, Massachusetts, and settled in the West Parish of Lynn Massachusetts which is  now the center of the town of Reading Massachusetts.  He built the first house in Reading, was a yeoman, who became a Freeman in 1691, and he served as an Ensign [in the local militia but his military service was not recorded].  He was a Selectman [board that governed the town of Reading] in 1718, 1724, 1725, and 1732.  He donated land for the burial ground and was the first person to be interred in the West Parish graveyard, [dying at the age of 85].   Also per sources in, Eng Nathaniel was the son of Thomas Parker (1609-1683) and Amy Aylesworth (1609-1690).  Nathaniel’s siblings of which two died before born were:  1.  Thomas (1636); 2. Hananiah  (1638); 3. John (1640); 4. Joseph (1642-1644); 5. a second Joseph (1645-1646); 6. Mary (1647); 7. Sarah (1653-1656); 8. Jonathan (1655); 9. a second Sarah (1658) and 10. Martha (1649).  Eng Nathaniel and his brothers and sisters grew up on the family farm in Reading, where his father Deacon Thomas Parker was a very prominent citizen.


7th Grandmother:  Bethiah Polley (b. 1659 and d. 1748).  Bethiah was the sixth of seven daughters born to immigrant John Polley (1618-1689) and Susanna Bacon (1625-1664), both of Reading Massachusetts.  Bethiah outlived her husband, Nathaniel Parker, by eleven years and was interred at Laurel Hill Cemetery in Middlesex County.  It is unknown why Bethiah was buried in a different cemetery as her husband.


+++ 8th Grandfather:  Deacon Thomas Parker (b. 1609 and d. 1683) – m. Amy Aylesworth (1609-1690) on 25 Dec 1635 in Lynn, Essex, Massachusetts.  Per sources in, “The first of the Parker family came to America in about the second ship, after the Mayflower landed at Plymouth Rock.  Thomas Parker espoused the cause of Roger Williams and went with him to the Hartford.”  From a story in, “‘Thomas Parker, the immigrant ancestor was born in England in 1609.  He came to America in the ship Susan and Ellen, sailing from London March 11, 1635, in charge of Sir Richard Saltonstall, with whose family tradition connects that of Parker.  He settled at Lynn, Massachusetts, and was admitted a freeman May 17, 1637.  He was one of the first settlers in Lynn Village or Reading, and on his homestead in the eastern part of the town he and his descendants lived until 1822, when Deacon Parker, the last of the family to occupy it, died.  He was a very active and prominent citizen, a man of ability and substance.  He was appointed a commissioner to try small causes in 1636; was selectman in 1661 and five other years, and often honored with positions of trust.  The Parker Genealogy locates his house within thirty rods of the present town hall of Wakefield, formerly the south parish of Reading, and on the east side of the common, adjoining the estate of Rev. Samuel Haugh. Parker was deacon of the Reading church.  He gave his age as thirty when he left England; was seventy-four when he died in 1683.’  The will of Thomas Parker, dated 3 Aug 1683, named his wife Amy, sons John, Thomas, Nathaniel, Hananiah; daughters Mary and Martha; and grandchildren Samuel and Sarah Parker. (Middelsex Probate 16812; John of Lex.”)  Deacon Thomas Parker served as Selectman in Lynn for 6 years, from 1661-1667.  He was instrumental in building the first meeting house (church) in Lynn and served as a deacon.  He was buried in the old graveyard on the east side of Reading Common.  The gravestones were not tended for years could not be located.  In 1854, the gravestones of Thomas and many others were discovered when construction of a new town hall began.  The gravestone has since been cared for.  (GRAVESTONE INSCRIPTION:  MEMENTO MORI FUGIT HORA, HERE LYETH WITHIN THIS ARCHED PLACE THE BODY OF DEACON THOMAS PARKER WHO WAS WON OF THE FOUNDATION OF THE CHURCH WHO DYED Y 12 OF AUGUST 1683 AGED ABOUT 74.)”  The Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Thomas Parker (deacon), states “There is evidence that Parker was ‘conspicuous’ in naming the town [of Reading]‘ and that he was related to the Parker family of Little Norton, England, who owned land by the name of Ryddinge…He owned 200 acres of land on the north side of the Ipswich River…Parker’s tombstone is in the cemetery just west of the First Parish Congregational Church in Wakefield, Massachusetts.  His actual grave is on the east side of the Common (which was larger at the time) on the east side of the church.”


8th Grandmother:  Amy Aylesworth (b. 1610 and d. 1690)


+++ 9th Grandfather:  John Parker (b. 1583 and d. 1638 Browsholme, England) – married to Jane Bate on 3 Aug 1602.


9th Grandmother:  Jane Bate (b. 1587 and d. 1617 Yorkshire, England)


+++ 10th Grandfather:  John Parker (b. 1560 and d. 1613 Great Burstead, Essex, England) – married to Mary Saltonstall in 1575


10th Grandmother:  Mary Saltonstall (b. 1565 and d. unknown)


….by Nathaniel Parker Descendants Peggy PARKER Johnson & Judy Carter Roberson



Sources and References:

1.  Albright, Edward, Early History of Middle Tennessee, extracted from Reference 24.

2.  Anderson, James Douglas, Making the American Thoroughbred Especially in Tennessee, 1800-1845, 1916, Chapter VI, Sumner County Breeding Centre.

3.  Ansel, Jr., William H., Frontier Forts Along the Potomac and Its Tributaries, extracted from Reference 18.

4.  Barnes, Jan and Carpenter, Linda, “Sumner County, Tennessee Genealogists Companion,” copyright 2004-2012, accessed April 14 and 15, 2013, .

5. Beisel, Perky and DeHart, Rob, Middle Tennessee Horse Breeding, Arcadia Publishing, opyright 2007.

6.  Brown, II, Myers E., Tennessee’s Union Cavalry, by  Tennessee State Museum, Arcadia Publishing, Copyright 2008, page 20.

7.  Cisco, Jay Guy, Historic Sumner County, Tennessee, 1909,  extracted from Reference 24.

8.  Durham, Walter T., Balie Peyton of Tennessee: Nineteeth Century Politics and Thoroughbred, Hillsboro Press, an imprint of Providence Publishing Corp, Copyright 2004.

9.  Easton, Jennifer, “Progress Means Prying Secrets From the Grave,” Tennessean, May 10, 2007.

10.  Ellington, Cletis R., Old Wayne: A Brit’s Memoir, Xlibris Corporation, May 21, 2010, page 200.

11.  Ferguson, Edwin L., Sumner County, Tennessee In the Civil War, Chapter Two, Abstracted with editing by E. J. Keen, 1997/1998, from Sumner County, Tennessee Genealogist Companion hosted by roots web, Copyright 2002-2012, accessed 5 Oct 2012, .

12.   Gray, John W., M.D., The Life of Joseph Bishop, Nashville, Tennessee, Published by the Author, 1868.

13.  Hale, Will T. and Merritt, Dixon L. , A History of Tennessee and Tennesseans, 1913, Volume V, p. 1265.

14.  Hannah, Parker,  West Virginia: John Parker in Hampshire County, Parker Hannah Mesquite Tree, Family Tree Database, Copyright 2006-2012, 10 Oct 2012, PARKER.html, which includes Wilson, Shirley, ”The Parker Family of Sumner County, TENNESSEE,” [excerpted and edited] and Hannah, Parker, Places of Our PARKERs: Hampshire County, WEST VIRGINIA, Family Tree Database, Copyright 2006-2012, accessed 15 Oct 2012,

15.  Historic Hampshire County, West Virginia, Copyright 2000-2011, accessed 25 Oct 2012, .

16.  JC Sanders Papers, French and Indian War Claims for Property Appropriations, West Virginia Genealogy, accessed 10 Oct 2012,

17.  King, C. Richard, The Lady Cannoneer, Burnet, Texas, Eakin Press, 1981.

18.  McDonald, Patti and Staggs, Michelle, West Virginia Genealogy, Fort John Parker, from “Frontier Forts Along the Potomac and Its Tributaries,” by William H. Ansel, Jr., Copyright 1999-2006, accessed 20 Oct 2012, .

19.  Nickson, Buckshot, “The Peyton Family,” The Gallatin News.

20.  Spivey, James R. (Moss) Spivey, Early History of the Moss Family, p. 83.

21.  The Papers of George Washington, Colonial Series, Copyright 2011, accessed 19 Oct 2012, .

22.  The Rogans of Sumner County, Tennessee & County Tyrone, Northern Ireland, “Hugh Rogan and Early Settlement,” accessed 5 Jun 2012, .

23.  United States Department of the Interior National Park Service National Register of Historic Places, Parker-Bryson District, 1794-1865.

24.  Vincent, Danene, Sumner County, Tennessee Genealogy, the USGenWeb Project, Sumner County Webpage, “Parker Family” by Jay Guy Cisco, Copyright 1996-2012, ; “Early History of Middle Tennessee” by Edward Albright, 1908, Copyright 1996-2012, .

25.  Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, Roger Williams (theologian), last modified 27 Oct 2012, ; Fort Duquesne, last modified 14 Oct 2012, ; George Rogers Clark, last modified 24 Oct 2012, ; William Clark (explorer), ; Bledsoe’s Station, last modified 3 July 2012,’s_Station ; Deacon Thomas Parker (deacon), last modified 11 Dec 2011,; Morgan’s Raid, last modified 8 Nov 2012,  .

26.  WikiTree, Nathaniel Parker, Copyright 2008-2012, accessed 10 Jun 2012,  ; John Parker, Copyright 2008-2012, 10 Jun 2012,

27.  William Richard Cutter, New England Families Genealogical and Memorial, Third Series, Vol. II, (Orig. publ. NY, 1915; repr. by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, 1997), pg. 621.

28.  Woodson, Tennessee, Saturday Evening Post, 1947.